Women in Horror
Rules & Terms
All films entered are required to have 3 or greater of the following different specified creative roles fulfilled by women: (Producer(s), Director(s), Writer(s), Cinematographer(s), Composer, SFX Artist, and lead talent). Any unproduced screenplay or TV pilot must be written by or co-written by a woman.
Any films that do not meet the aforementioned requirement and are submitted will be disqualified from the festival consideration and no refunds will be disbursed.
The Festival Directors select all members of the jury for competition and screening. No person having taken part in the production or promotion of a film in competition may be on the jury. The jury is obliged to award the best film/screenplay in each category.
- Eligible Feature film entries must be between 80-120 minutes in total running time to include opening and end title/credit sequences.
- Eligible Short film entries must not exceed 45 minutes in total running time to include opening and end title/credit sequences.
- Eligible Feature screenplays should be formatted to industry standards and be between 80-110 pages.
- Eligible Short screenplays should be formatted to industry standards and must not exceed 30 pages in length.
- Eligible TV Pilot screenplays should be formatted to industry standards and must not exceed 45 pages in length.
All films submitted for official selection must be entered by 15th July 2017. An entry form and entry fee must be completed for all submissions via FilmFreeway prior to this date. Additional submission details can be found at: www.WIHFF.com.
All films/screenplays submitted must reach the Film Festival by the 15th of July 2017. If the film/screenplay is not received by this deadline it will not be submitted. This deadline is final.
The following will be accepted for the submission process:
– On Line secure screener
– .pdf of screenplay
Any film/screenplay sent in other formats for the initial submission process: Beta, Mini- DV, HD-CAM, 16mm or 35mm, DVD, printed copy (screenplays) will not be viewed.
If your film/screenplay is selected for the festival, you may attend the festival, at your own expense, during the 22nd of September to the 24th of September 2017, to promote and support your film, and collect any awards. The Film & screenplays selected to be included in the festival will receive 1 festival pass for you (the submitter) to attend all screenings. Recommendations will be made by the festival to out of town attendees for accommodations.
Participation in the Festival implies acceptance of all the aforementioned regulations and respect of submission and screening conditions. Furthermore by completing the initial online submission form (you/ your company) agree to the Festival’s terms of the release as follows;
1) [You / The Company] hereby grant(s)the organizers of the Festival
Permission to screen the film during the Festival and other associated promotional events. For the avoidance of doubt the location and timing of any screenings of the film shall be the sole decisionof the organizers of the Film Festival.
2) [You / The Company] [have / has] obtained signed release forms in relation to copyright and all other rights now known from all the cast, crew and any freelance contributors who were involved in the making of the film.
3) [You / The Company] [have / has] obtained the appropriate copyright clearances for all music used in the film (if required).
4) [You / The Company] will be solely responsible for all costs resulting from the submission of the film to the Festival including but not limited to postage or insurance of the film, transport costs of the film to and from the Festival and travel costs and expenses of your staff or any representatives of the film.
5) [You / The Company] will indemnify the organizers of the Festival against all claims, demands, costs, damages, expenses (including legal fees), proceedings and losses resulting from the screening of the film at the Festival or from claims by any third parties.
6) [You / A director of the Company] [have / has] read, understood and agree[s] to be fully bound by the Rules and Regulations 2017 of the Festival.
7) [You / The Company] understand[s] and agree[s] that any failure to follow and adhere to the Rules and Regulations 2017 of the Festival will result in the disqualification of the film and forfeiting of your submission fees.
8) [You / The Company] hereby give[s] the organizers of the Festival a non exclusive licence to use [your/ its] name, [photograph / logo], and likeness in connection with any and all publicity and promotional activities relating to the Festival, and its promotional activities and events.
9) [You / The Company] understand[s] that the Festival is not obliged to return the copy of the film that [you / the company] submitted to the Festival and confirm that [you / the company] [have / has] retained at least one other copy of the film.
10) [You / The Company] understand[s] that the organizers of the Festival accept no liability for the loss or non-receipt of the film.
11) [You / The Company] understand[s] that there are no fees [due to you / it] for screening the film at the Festival or for any other matters arising from the submission of the film to the Festival and accept that the organizers of the Festival are therefore under no obligation to pay you any sums
12) [You / The Company] agree[s] to be bound by the decision of the judges of the Festival whose decision will be final. [You / The Company] further understand[s] and agree[s] that the judges are not obliged to give any feedback to you regarding the film.
13) [You / The Company} confirm[s] and warrant [s]that [you are/it is] the author of the film and the sole and exclusive owner of all rights now known in the Film and [have /has] full and exclusive rights to submit the film to the Festival. [You / The Company] further warrant [s] that the film is not under option, nor has it been purchased by any third party. [You / the Company] also warrant[s] that there is no current dispute as to the ownership of the film and that no rights or permissions are required from any third parties before the film can be screened at the Festival.
Awards & Prizes
Custom-designed WIHFF trophies will be provided to the winners in the following 19 categories:
- Best Traditional Horror Film (short or feature)
these films can encompass but are not limited to Slasher/Stalker/Supernatural /
Creature Feature/Zombie/Folklore/Urban Legend
- Best Non-Traditional Horror Film (short or feature)
these films can encompass but are not limited to Animated/Comedy/Experimental, etc.
- Best International Horror Film (short or feature)
- Best Documentary Horror Film (short or feature)
- Best Grindhouse Film (short or feature)
- Best Sci-Fi Film (short or feature)
- Best Local Horror (GA filmmakers) Film (short or feature)
- Best Student Horror Film (short)
- Best LGBTQ Horror Film (short or feature)
Films made by persons who identify as LGBTQ or center around LGBTQ characters/stories/subject matter)
- Best Overall Feature Audience Award
- Best Overall Short Audience Award
- Best Unproduced Feature Screenplay
- Best Unproduced Short Screenplay
- Best Unproduced TV Pilot
- Best Director (short or feature)
- Best Actress (short or feature)
- Best Cinematography (short or feature)
- Best Musical Score (short or feature)
- Best Make up/Practical FX (short or feature)
**categories subject to change based on selection amounts
In addition to trophies...
Best Feature Film: The winner of the Best Feature Film will receive a 2-page print and online article in horror magazine, "Dead, Buried and Back"!
Feature Film Finalists: ALL feature film finalists will be sent to international film distributor, Terror Films, for distribution consideration.
Best Student Film: The winner of the Best Student Film will receive a 1-hour mentoring session with industry pro Mark Simon, who has worked in the camera department for over two decades on major film productions such as One Missed Call, Risky Business, Weird Science, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, Predator 2, and Primal Fear. Session can be done in person if in Atlanta area or via Skype if not local. The winner of Best Student Film will also receive a $300 grant to go toward their next project.
The winner of the Best Short and Best TV Pilot Screenplay will receive a free course from Screenwriters University PLUS StoryO screenwriting software from Jungle Software.
The Winner of the Best Feature Screenplay will also receive a custom Women in Horror trophy presented by horror film producer Marianne Maddalena (The People Under the Stairs - 1991, Wes Craven's New Nightmare - 1994, Scream 1, 2, 3 & 4 - 1996-2011, The Hills Have Eyes 1 & 2 - 2006 & 2007, Scream: The TV Series - 2015) PLUS a one on one pitch session with her. Winner will also receive StoryO screenwriting software from Jungle Software and a digital copy of the Hollywood Screenwriter's Directory from The Writer's Store.
Winners of the Best Feature Screenplay, Best Short Screenplay and Best TV Pilot Screenplay will receive an InkTip Script Listing: A listing of your script on InkTip so that producers and reps can find you.
All Semi-Finalists and Finalists will receive a custom WIHFF laurel.
Other prizes & awards TBA
Simply click on the FilmFreeway link to submit your film or screenplay!
SUBMIT TO THE FEST